God or Gravity?

Thank god for gravity!!! Its such a powerful force if we come to realize it. I was on walk with my dog one evening and after she got tired playing fetch, I decided to lay on the grass after having felt its softness in my feet while walking earlier. I was loving the weather and the wind and the blue sky with waves of clouds ebbing in the vast ocean of this atmosphere. I looked up and in an instant felt a discomfort stemming form the fear of what would happen if there weren’t any gravity holding me down right now on this little patch of grass and if I were to fly away. My mind started diving and deepening this fear… Fly away to where? Not in the sky because that would’ve flown out already. I guess in to the vast expanse of nothingness? But if there is nothing then how am I there? What is holding my form as is? Gravity..

After an expansion in the external view came the internal view of this whole force.. I am me because of gravity. The air we breathe hangs around us because of gravity. My dog is sitting next to me.. Gravity!! Everything there is.. Gravity!!! Going deeper.. Molecules, atoms, protons, neutrons, the smallest thing, the largest thing, the cosmos everything… I know for I have read this a million times in text books.. But to experience it was what really made me appreciate this beautiful force..

Now to the aesthetic aspect of it.. Attraction, emotion, tension all stems out of it as well.. We as masses are constantly pulling other masses towards us.. Everything! Right from a tiny feather to a building to this person we are madly drawn to. How crazy is that!!! I think a take away from this could be that we are constantly pulling things towards us. Why not then be accepting of it all? And be grateful that we can still continue to lay down on a bed of soft moist grass and not be scared of being propelled into the vastness..

Comments

vidya said…
Hey Vidya,

I am really surprised after reading this entry of yours that besides being my namesake you also seem to think a lot like me.

I too was having these reflections on gravity a few weeks ago. Was actually thinking about the philosophy of gravity and how we tend to "draw things towards us"...

Strange isn't it? I have come across your blog several times (while searching for my own articles on the net!) but stopped to read it only today...

Popular posts from this blog