CARNATIC BLUES!!

I believe most people especially in the US have their primary goal to just be able to perform on stage. Back in India, it is not so. I feel for Carnatic music, one should go through rigorous training even after you feel that you have reached a stage where you can be giving a stage performance.
The whole structure of raaga needs to be very clear in your head and the more you advance in your learning, the more you should go back to the basics and use them for all the raagas that you learn. Like for examples, the alankaras should be practiced with all the raagas and not just mayamamavagaula.
Also, varnams should be really stressed upon before reaching the keertana stage. The more varnams you learn, the more strong you become in the ragaa structure. For keertanams, you should stress on learning the madhayama kalam keeatanam first for any raaga, then moving on to one having a chittaswarm and then moving on to vilambakalam keertanam for the same raaga. This way you know all the delicate intricacies of a ragaa.
Aakara sadhna would help you immensely in the future when you start your improvisations on the raagas as well as in the ghamakam of the song.
It is not about how many keertanas you learn in haste but how intricately you understand the structure of a raaga that would help you advance in Carnatic music. Going back to the basics is the key to understanding it. After all, the more the stronger base of a pyramid, the taller its tip becomes, so it fits the field of music too.
I am still a learner, I believe I will always be, even though I feel I have reached a stage where I need to be able to share my knowledge of music. I believe, teaching is as important as learning as by teaching, you are yourself judging, improving and getting constructive criticisms from your students.
For me, my dream is to be able to perform in front of a huge audience one day with all my energy, passion and focus on my scales and notes..

Comments

PS said…
came across your blog through my blog search feed on "Carnatic".

I'm a newbie to Carnatic. I have a question. What about if one wants to learn carnatic in a non-traditional instrument eg. Keyboard. Is it prudent to even venture in this direction?
hey vidya!! Nicely written and so true abt watever u said, also if u hv noticed something, if u learn yoga or carnatic music, its so much easy to adapt urself to this western music or gymming, however vice versa is not true...well, i guess it was a hilarious analogy but still i will hold on to this concept:D
Vidya Venkat said…
Vatsan,
The first and the last line are not a contradiction to me. I am talking of a dream I have, which I have held back. I am not intending on giving a performance right away but only after all the rigour. So I feel I was reiterating what I said in my first line. Im sorry if it came off as a contradiction or even as me giving a thumb rule. I was just sharing my opinion on a subject :)
dont_panic said…
aah..
"you should go back to the basics and use them for all the raagas that you learn"

that is so true! well not just in the realms of Music but life in general (as you also point out later)...

Coming back to Carnatic music, I guess the ancients rightly figured out that the "laya" is literally the heart beat of music. Isnt Any composition in its manifestations onto a different rhythm, just a completely different journey! Isnt it just a strange intermix of spirituality and gratification?

No doubt Jazz/Rock and Indian Classical jam together so well.. what do you say Ms Writer + Musician?

(so much so for growing up listening to rock + grunge)
Manu Gurudatha said…
Hi Vidya,
Just bumped into your blog from orkut... thought i'd leave a comment on carnatic music...

I guess I used to feel the same way... but realized that may be people were trying hard to be in touch with the goodies from india, and as a consolation to themselves, want to perform... And, I dont believe India is any better - I mean, almost everyone's started performing; almost every gully has a music sabha. Do you think this might be a new trend?
As someone who felt the need for a shortcut for learning CM :-) and who has now understood the need to go through the rigor of learning it the traditional way, I totally agree with this. (http://shripathi.com/?p=44). I came here through your Orkut profile.
TN Arunagiri said…
Hi Vidya,

nice blog and you have been gifted with a beautiful voice by Nature. I personally feel that besides practice, we ought to keep listening to the concerts - recording or live. It should keep ringing in your mind - for e.g., one can practice swarakalpana anytime of the day or while doing anything!

I do agree with your post about never giving up practicing the fundamentals like the varisais in different ragas and akaara sadhakam.

BTW, I am also into Carnatic and I came to know about your blog through a friend of mine, who said you'd participated in Galaata Idol 2008.

I also had participated in 2006 and chosen the Idol by the audience that year, which was the first year Galaata Idol was started.

I am part of a Bay Area band called BOOMM, which does mostly Bollywood but also dabbles into Tamil and improvisational/experimental stuff for our own satisfaction and evolution as musicians.

Check out my summary of our last show:

http://papyruschords.blogspot.com/2008/11/rock-de-india-2008.html

Popular posts from this blog